Vivian Lewis - Comments
Editor and founder of Global-Investing.com
Contributor's Links: Global Investing

Vivian Lewis is editor and founder of Global-Investing.com, the daily blog newsletter for Americans and others seeking to internationalize their portfolios. She brings unique experience and competence to the business of picking foreign stocks.

After graduating from Harvard magna cum ... more

Bitcoin Pop, Gold Support And The US Dollar

I am puzzled about this.

In this video: GLD, UUP, BITCOMP
Stock Picks For 2021

I wrote it

In this article: CZZ, KL
Windsor Tour

I naturally favor my own blogs. I am visiting the site mainly to try to stop getting long blogs from evangelical Christian nutters about how covid jabs remove your fertility and are sponsored by the devil and Bill Gates. I am perfectly respectful of other peoples' religions but not about this lot. And they are sending these nasties to my inbox. As a result I hope to figure out a way to file for talk markets without revealing my real mailbox. I also get notes claiming that I am running a brothel. Stuff like this only happens to a woman-headed business.

Cross The Aisle

what is an echo show?

The World Has Turned Sunny

to show that you are still the boss if you are Donald Trump. It is part of his shtick.

The World Has Turned Sunny

no, it was using troops against US protestors. This was ruled out by the Declaration of Independence, not that ex-President Trump every learned this.

Retail Sales Rising

Gasolene is taxed not just in Britain but in most European counties. It doesn't stop freedom of movement because people pay the tax, but it did lead to serious protests by the yellow shirts in France who said they could not afford it.

I think the US oil majors are more reluctant than European ones to invest in the new alternative fuels that will power cars in the future, like batteries for electric vehicles.

My favorite idea for that is China's NIO which will sell its electric vehicles with leased batteries, so when they run down the car driver can switch batteries at a service station rather than having to hang around for the recharging.

NIO is NYSE listed and has gained the most year to date and is well ahead of even Tesla. It is funded in part by the local government of the town where it is headquartered. Volkswagen also benefits from the same subsidies so it is not only for Chinese.

Retail Sales Rising

as a Manhattanite I do not run a car but my impression is that gasoline sales prices are 1) competitive 2) regulated and 3) taxed. What I like is the European oil companies getting set for lower demand for gasolene as electric vehicles come to market, and their investment in alternative fuels, not typical of their US rivals. They are buying into low-carbon which means for the longer term. Note that in European counties which are trying to meet the Paris standards to cut carbon the oil companies are taking the lead in funding solar, wind, LNG, and other alternatives. This kind of long-term investing smarts cannot be found among US oil giants.

No Debate

the lady on the phone who blocked my access to the on-line version of The Financial Times was in the USA. the newspaper is British but it is now owned by a Japanese company. All I was saying was the the time she wasted on demanding proof of my sub and not paying attention to my request amounted to fraud as I am a paid subscriber.

Go Global