E The New Defiance "Psychedelic" ETF Is New But Not Groundbreaking

Image by Okan Caliskan from Pixabay

The supposedly first and, supposedly, a "psychedelic" stocks ETF, was launched in the U.S. on May 27th. but it is not a true psychedelic stocks ETF nor is it the world's first psychedelic ETF. Here's what it really is.

The Defiance Next Gen Altered Experience ETF (PSY) is a welcome addition to the investment landscape but it is NOT the first psychedelic drug stocks ETF on the investment scene. The Horizon's Psychedelic Stock Index ETF (PSYK/HPSYF) was listed on the Canadian NEO stock exchange back on January 27th, 2021.

In addition, the Defiance psychedelic stocks index is NOT a true psychedelic stocks ETF like PSYK because, while it states that its focus is on investing in clinical-stage companies looking for ways to treat mental illnesses using psychedelic compounds, in actual fact only 30% of its ETF constituents are doing research in that area. The other 70% of the companies are concentrated on doing research using THC and/or CBD cannabis or ketamine (a fast-acting painkiller that can potentially treat major depression). 

The Defiance Next Gen Altered Experience ETF says that it:

  • looks to track the BITA Medical Psychedelics, Cannabis, and Ketamine Index,
  • that its constituents must be connected to the medical psychedelics, medical cannabis, or ketamine industries in some way and
  • that companies in the index must have a market cap of at least $75 million.

The ETF:

  • consists of 20 constituents of which
    • only 6 are psychedelic drug companies, namely: 
    • the remaining 14 drug companies are cannabis-focused
  • has an expense ratio of 0.75%,
  • has a CUSIP #26922B808 (Go here for more information on CUSIP)
  • is listed on the NYSE under the symbol PSY
  • has net assets of $3.43M and
  • has 125,000 shares outstanding

If you understand the limitations of the Defiance Next Gen Altered Experience ETF then it, nevertheless, provides diversification, reduced trading costs, and the need to monitor multiple positions as well as some exposure to the clinical-stage medical psychedelics and cannabis drug stock segment.

Visit  munKNEE.com and register to receive our free Market Intelligence Report newsletter (sample  more

How did you like this article? Let us know so we can better customize your reading experience.

Comments

Leave a comment to automatically be entered into our contest to win a free Echo Show.
Wendell Brown 1 day ago Member's comment

What is it that has you so upset? I can't find anywhere that they claim to be the first or to be all psychedelic. Did they issue some press release you find objectionable, or did some other journalist misinterpret? You really need to provide a link to whatever claim you feel the need to debunk. The description I see is "PSY seeks to track the BITA Medical Psychedelics, Cannabis, and Ketamine Index, a rules-based index that tracks the performance of companies, listed in North American Exchanges, that operate business models focused on the usage of Psychedelics, Medical Cannabis, and Ketamine for medicinal and health treatment purposes." That seems pretty much in line with what they do and not what you say they are claiming. Clarify please?