Digital Turbine: An Ad Platform For App Makers

Quick Summary

Digital Turbine (APPS) provides software that is pre-installed onto Android-powered smartphones. This software acts as an "always-on" media delivery platform, allowing app and content creators to pay advertising fees for a better chance of their content being seen. The primary way the software works is by "pre-loading" apps onto the device during the setup process (based on user location, age, gender, etc.). Digital Turbine's software also can suggest apps through notifications and install them with a single tap. 75% of the company's revenue is earned through these "Application Media" installations, paid for by app creators and shared with device OEMs (Samsung, LG, etc.) and service providers (Verizon, AT&T, etc.). The other 25% comes from "Content Media", where DT's platform provides interfaces for news, weather, sports, and other content, and content providers pay the company to be included (again shared with OEMs and carriers). Digital Turbine's software is installed on over 450 million devices and has pre-loaded nearly 2.5 billion apps.

Does The Company Have Recurring And/Or Rising Revenues?

SOMEWHAT. Digital Turbine started its current business model in 2016, and since then has generated about 15% average annual growth. Zoom in a bit, though, and this becomes much more impressive, with revenues rising 34% in 2019 and up a whopping 70-90% in the first two quarters of 2020. Clearly the company has hit on a need, providing app creators a way to market their software, and OEMs/service providers another avenue for monetizing devices. There is still growth potential here. DT software still has less than 10% total smartphone penetration, there is the potential for expanding into new device categories (like TV streaming devices), and several untapped carriers remain as well. On the recurring side, most revenue is earned on new device sales (through the pre-load process - 90% of application media sales). The company has been focusing on notification-driven app installs and content interfaces to drive more sales on an ongoing basis through the life of the device. We generally consider ad platforms to be recurring revenue, but we have to ding Digital Turbine for relying on new smartphone sales for a large portion of application media revenues.

1 2
View single page >> |

Disclaimer: The content is provided by Alexander Online Properties LLC (AOP LLC) for informational purposes only. The material should not be considered as investment advice or used as the basis ...

more
How did you like this article? Let us know so we can better customize your reading experience.

Comments

Leave a comment to automatically be entered into our contest to win a free Echo Show.