Real Wages Decline In December, Barely Up From Year Ago

Real wages for production workers fell 0.2% in Dec. Real wages for all employees fell 0.1%. Both barely up from yr ago.

The BLS informs us that Real Earnings Declined in December.

Real Wages All Employees

(Click on image to enlarge)

  • Real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.1 percent from November to December, seasonally adjusted. This result stems from an increase of 0.1 percent in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.2 percent in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).
  • Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.1 percent over the month due to the change in real average hourly earnings combined with no change in the average workweek.
  • Real average hourly earnings increased 0.6 percent, seasonally adjusted, from December 2018 to December 2019. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.6-percent decrease in the average workweek resulted in essentially no change in real average weekly earnings over this period.

Real Wages Production and Supervisory Employees

(Click on image to enlarge)

  • Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 0.2 percent from November to December, seasonally adjusted. This result stems from a 0.1-percent increase in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.3 percent in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).
  • Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.2 percent over the month due to the decrease in real average hourly earnings combined with no change in average weekly hours.
  • From December 2018 to December 2019, real average hourly earnings increased 0.7 percent, seasonally adjusted. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.6-percent decrease in the average workweek resulted in a 0.1-percent increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.

Real Weekly Take-Home Pay

  • Real weekly take-home pay was flat year-over-year for all employees.
  • Real weekly take-home pay fell year-over-year for production and supervisory workers.
1 2
View single page >> |

Disclaimer: The content on Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis site is provided as general information only and should not be taken as investment advice. All site content, including ...

more
How did you like this article? Let us know so we can better customize your reading experience. Users' ratings are only visible to themselves.

Comments

Leave a comment to automatically be entered into our contest to win a free Echo Show.